Search This Blog

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Draw The Line

You must do it . So the word is not corrupted, misused

MV: be enlarged by you according…, 2Co10:15
Bib1Yr: Mk4:1-29Teach The Multitude



Martin Luther: I cannot renounce all of my works



Martin Luther: I cannot renounce all of my works because they are not all the same.

First are those books in which if I have described Christian faith and life so simply that even my opponents have admitted that these books are useful. To renounce these writings would be unthinkable for that would be to renounce accepted Christian truths... 

The second group of my work is directed against the foul doctrine and evil living of the Popes, past and present... Through the laws of the Pope and the doctrines of men, the consciences of the faithful have been miserably vexed and flayed. If I recant these books, I will do nothing but add strength to tyranny and open not just the windows but also the doors to this great ungodliness... 

In the third group I have written against private persons and individuals who uphold Roman tyranny and have attacked my own efforts to encourage piety to Christ. 

I confess that I have written too harshly. I am but a man and I can err. Only let my errors be proven by Scripture and I will revoke my work and throw my books into the fire.

Martin Luther: Unless I am convinced by Scripture and by plain reason and not by Popes and councils who have so often contradicted themselves, my conscience is captive to the word of God. To go against conscience is neither right nor safe. I cannot and I will not recant. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me

Luther Movie


No comments:

Post a Comment